Do you have are hard time thinking of simple Christmas gift ideas for everyone on your list?
I’ve gathered Christmas gift ideas for him, her, kids, teens, friends, teachers, neighbors, and coworkers, and compiled them into the ultimate holiday gift guide so you can shop with simplicity and ease.
I’ve included shopping links, including some affiliates, to as many products as possible. I may earn from qualifying purchases.
- Who Should Be on My Christmas List?
- Simple Christmas Gift Ideas for Everyone on Your List
- Simple DIY Christmas Gift Ideas
- Simple Christmas Gift Ideas for Teachers, Friends, Neighbors and Coworkers
Who Should Be on My Christmas List?
Coming up with ideas for Christmas gifts can get overwhelming fast. Cut down on stress and decision fatigue by deciding who will actually be on your list before you spend time thinking of gift ideas.
Every year I set out to stick to a small list, but I inevitably get caught up in the holiday spirit and wish I could get a gift for just about everyone I know.
Unfortunately, my budget and time doesn’t allow that. If you’re in the same predicament, I suggest:
- making your list based on the nature of relationship,
- your budget,
- and how much time you have to shop.
Once you’ve made your list, you can write down your ideas for Christmas gifts. I’ve created a free printable Christmas shopping list you can use. Download it and print as many copies as you need.
Simple Christmas Gift Ideas for Everyone on Your List
We all want to give good gifts. This Christmas Gift Guide for 2023 will give you great ideas for your friends and family.
There are some crossover ideas between the categories. And some of the ideas listed for boys and men may work for girls and women and vice versa. Pick and choose what works for the family and friends on your list.
Gift Ideas For Children Under 10
When it comes to holiday shopping for children, I adapt the four gift rule:
- something you want
- something you need
- something to wear
- something to read
Following this guideline will make it a lot simpler to buy for kids who have everything. Some of the best Christmas gifts (that have been big hits with the kids in our life) are:
- Classic games. Connect four, Scrabble Jr., Uno and Clue are my favorite picks. One year we gave our niece and nephew a corn hole game and they really enjoyed it. We bought an inexpensive one, but these handmade corn hole games would last a lot longer.
- Pillow Pets – We got our niece and nephew Troll pillow pals a few years ago and they were a BIG hit.
- Toys from the latest hit kid’s movie – Star Wars was the “it” movie a few years ago. Anything Disney or Marvel is probably a safe bet. Double check with the parents to find out what’s current.
- Virtual Reality Headset – We got a virtual reality headset for our nephew last year. It was a huge hit with him and his little sister. We found the one we bought at TJ Maxx. Amazon has a good selection, too.
- Personalized Puzzles – There are all kinds of personalized name puzzles on Etsy that young children would love.
- Personalized Books – Young children love when their own name shows up in a story. Amazon has a lot of titles to choose from. You can also get personalized books for girls, boys, babies and toddlers at putmeinthestory.com
- Hatchimals – These hatching egg toys bring a lot of excitement to young children.
Non Toy Gift Ideas
I love to include gifts that are not toys when I’m buying gifts for children. A couple of my favorite non toy gift ideas include:
- Tickets – They could be for an event like Disney on Ice, Cirque de Soleil, the circus, or any attraction in your town. Comedy Sportz is also a great, family friendly venue where you can bond over laughs. You buy sports, concert, theater and other tickets through Rakuten and earn cash back.
- Subscriptions – Cratejoy has subscription boxes for every age and any interest you can imagine. I love this Snail Mail box. Sunny the Mail Snail sends kids a letter every week.
Cute Gift Ideas for Teen Girls
Most kids have outgrown getting toys for Christmas by the time they reach their teen years. Good Christmas gift ideas for the young women in your life include:
- iTunes gift card. For downloading new singles of her favorite artists.
- Lip balm I suggest a tinted or flavored one.
- Face Masks – ORGAID sheet masks, a charcoal mask, or a red clay mask are all good choices.
- Polaroid Camera – I will tell you though, that the interest in a polaroid seemed to be a brief phase. If you’re okay with that, it is a really fun and exciting gift for a teenage girl.
- Concert tickets – Getting to scream and cry and giggle over Harry Styles or Justin Bieber with your best friend is a gift she’ll never forget. Earn cash back when you buy concert tickets through Rakuten.
- Phone Cover – Teen girls love keeping up with the latest designs in phone covers.
- Blankets _ Every teen girl whose been in my house seems to love curling up under a cozy blanket.
- Clothes – word from the teen girls I know is you can’t go wrong by getting clothes or gift cards to:
- Urban Outfitters
- American Eagle
- Forever 21
- Abercrombie and Fitch
Get cash back when you shop these stores through Rakuten. You can shop online or in store with the app.
Cool Christmas Gifts for Teenage Boys
Knowing what the teenage boys in your life are interested in is a great starting point for gift ideas. Some of my favorite ideas are:
- Lounge room signs like this personalized one for surfers or this personalized one for future pilots.
- Fishing pail, bait and a tackle box for the fisherman
- Leather tech organizer for the tech lover
- MLB/NFL sports history collectibles make great gifts for sports fans. You can find some great vintage items on Etsy. There’s also a fun selection on Amazon.
- Leather wallet, especially if he’s a driver. He’ll need it carry his drivers license.
- Money clip for the working teen
- Cologne – this cologne was a big hit with one of my nephew’s a few years ago.
Useful Gifts for College Students
I’ve found college students tend to have a more practical wish list. Whether you’re shopping for a college girl or college guy, they’ll love receiving any of these gifts.
- Money – Every college student I know appreciates getting a cash gift. There are a lot of creative ways to give money to teenagers and college students. The simplest way is to wrap it in Christmas money holders. If you prefer to support small business owners, Hunter Paper Co has a cute cash money wallet card available on Etsy.
- Gift Cards: Gift cards are a great gift option for college students. They appreciate not having to use up all their cash on everyday expenses. Some good gift cards for college students include:
- local restaurants
- gas cards
- local grocery stores
- airline gift cards
Grocery stores, Walmart, and Target all have gift card kiosks in their stores as well as at the checkout aisle. If you’re on a budget, try buying discounted gift cards at Raise.com
- Clothes – My daughter rarely buys clothes because she doesn’t feel like she can’t afford it. I’m sure she’s not alone in that. You’ll find clothes they like at H&M, Zara, Asos, Target, or Lulus. Get cash back when you shop at these stores through Rakuten. You can shop online or in store with the app.
- Packing Cubes – Packing cubes make great gifts whether your college student is packing for a road trip or to fly home. TJ Maxx always has packing cubes hanging on the wall in their luggage section. The Eagle Creek Pack-It Cube Set and the Eagle Creek Specter Pack-It Tech Cube Set consistently rank on lists for best packing cubes. Amazon Basics cube sets also made some of the lists and has great reviews on Amazon.
- Luggage – Speaking of traveling, a nice weekend bag or carry-on makes coming home much easier. Again, TJ Maxx usually has a good selection.
What to Get Adults for Christmas
A young friend told me about a gift she’d given her mom one year. She’d customized it by adding the lyrics from a song her mother used to sing to her.
That story reminded me that the best gifts come from the heart and are born out of relationship. With that in mind, here are some gift ideas for the adults on your shopping list.
Christmas Gifts for Him
With some planning, you can find some really thoughtful gifts for men.
- Tickets. Give tickets to a concert to music lovers. One year I gave Matt tickets to see Lyle Lovett. (He’s a big fan.) Tickets to a game make a great gift for the sports fan in your family. Get cash back when you buy tickets through Rakuten.
- Books. Matt’s uncle sent him a Kindle downloaded with books that he’d read and knew would be of interest to Matt so they could chat about the books. I think that is a very thoughtful gift idea for the bookworm in your life.
- Gift Cards. For movie theaters, favorite restaurants, sports stores, Top Golf…whatever they’re interested in. Try Raise.com to get a discount on gift cards.
- Men’s Lounge Wear. Men, at least mine, enjoy being able to change into comfortable clothes as much as women do. Flannel or fleece pants seem to be the favorite around here.
- Shaving Kit. My husband really enjoyed the shaving kit I got him one year. Beard oil and a beard grooming kit is another great option.
- Nail Grooming Kit – These nail grooming kits are very nice and made great gifts when we gave them a couple of years ago.
- Men’s Valet. For holding change, his watch and miscellaneous items. I bought a full standing valet for Matt many years ago that he still uses to this day. But, you can also buy valet trays or boxes to set on a nightstand or dresser.
- Hobby Paraphernalia. The gift would depend on what your husband enjoys. A few common gift ideas are:
- Give a guitar tuner, picks, a pick hole puncher, strings, or sheet music to the guitar player. Be sure to find out what level player he is and what type of guitar he has.
- Golf lovers might enjoy golf balls. Add a personal touch with his monogram or a photo.
- Trading cards, or a t-shirt or hoodie from his favorite team would make good sports gifts for guys who love baseball or football.
- Give BBQ gear to the grill master
- A sketch pad and charcoal pencils make a great gift for artists who draw
- To a shave club. Harry’s and Dollar Shave Club are both reputable options.
- A subscription to Audible would make a great gift for those who enjoy listening to books.
- CreativeLive – Give your husband the opportunity to master a craft, pursue his passion, or pick up a new hobby with a classes on CreativeLive.
Christmas Gifts for Women
This is a curated list of the best gifts I’ve given or received over the years. It’s sure to please even the woman who already has everything.
Best gifts for the homebody or introvert – These suggestions are perfect for creating a cozy and comfortable spot just for her.
- A Journal – I personally love the Leuchtturm1917. (It’s popular with people who bullet journal.) But, you can choose from all kinds of journals.
- Cozy Socks – I love cozy socks, especially since my feet get so cold. They’re also great for putting over your feet after an at-home pedicure to seal in moisture.
- Throw Blanket – I’ve been snuggling up under this sherpa throw blanket for years. A weighted blanket is also a good choice.
- Lounge clothes – Lounge sets let you feel dressed while still being comfortable and cozy. Some of the best loungewear for women is by Amazon Essentials. Target also has a great selection of loungewear.
- A good book – You can’t go wrong by getting something from the best seller list. Pick one by her favorite author or on one of her favorite topics or hobbies, like interior design, travel, or gardening.
- Noise canceling headphones so she can enjoy a little peace and quiet.
- Spa Day gift set – Encourage her to take time for herself.
- jade roller – This is a game changer in your skincare routine. Use it to reduce puffiness and increase circulation. There’s a noticeable difference. This is the one I use and I love it!
- Dry Brush – I gave my mom a dry brush and she loves it. It’s become a treasured part of her bath time routine.
- Bath Salts – I prefer Dr. Teal’s pure epsom salt or San Franscisco Salt Co. unscented.
- Body Scrub – Body scrubs feel so luxurious and are great for all over body exfoliation.
- Under Eye Masks – I use the Acure Radically Rejuvenating Under Eye Hydrogels and really like them.
Gifts for Home Decor Lovers – These home decor ideas are perfect for the first time home owner, newlyweds setting up their new home, a college grad who is embarking on her own, a young mom trying to create a cozy home, or an empty nester whose giving her home a makeover.
- Plants – Fiddle leaf figs, succulents and palms are really popular in home decor. You can find real fiddle leaf plants at Home Depot, but from what I understand, they’re hard to keep alive. The Nearly Natural fiddle leaf from Amazon gets really great reviews. The same brand also sells faux palm trees. Cratejoy has several subscription box offers for succulent lovers.
- Serving Trays – Serving trays are a home decor must-have. They can be used on coffee tables, ottomans, on beds, in the kitchen, or for entertaining.
- Candlesticks – Tapers are in right now and so are the candlesticks you set them in. A pair or trio of black metal candlesticks are on trend and fit any decor style. Vintage brass candlestick holders are also having a moment.
- Trinket Dish – These little dishes are perfect for setting on nightstands, next to sinks, on a stack of books, and the list goes on. Etsy has a great selection of handmade and personalized trinket dishes to choose from.
- Decorative Boxes – Decorative boxes comes in all sizes and styles and are a home decorators secret weapon. They can hide remote controls, fill bookshelves, hold momentos and so much more.
- Coffee Table Book – The book will depend on her interests, but Elements of Style is a pretty popular and safe choice for home decor lovers. I also recommend Architectural Digest, Living With Pattern, or Homebody by Joanna Gaines.
- Interior Design Class – Any home decorator would enjoy learning the tips and tricks of the trade. Skillshare offers interior design classes on finding your home style, using color in your home, and functional design.
- A great candle – These hand poured soy candles are highly scented and oh-so-cozy.
Decor Steals is a great place to get Christmas gifts for the home at discounted prices.
Gift Ideas for Fashionistas – As a fashion lover myself, I’m sure these gift ideas will be a hit.
- French Minimalist Capsule Wardrobe – Giving her a gift certificate for the French Minimalist Capsule Wardrobe is, in my opinion, the best gift you could gift your fashion loving mom, friend or sister. If she’s not into the French girl look, I suggest the Closet Staples Casual Capsule Wardrobe Builder.
- Delicate Layer Necklace– These necklaces are very on trend and elevate any outfit.
- Plaid Blanket Scarf – Blanket scarfs are the perfect Fall and Winter accessory. They’re also great for traveling.
- A Tote Bag – You can’t go wrong with a leather tote bag. This inexpensive Kate Spade tote is another great option.
- Charlotte Tilbury nude lipstick in Pillow Talk – This is a universally flattering shade that’s very popular.
- Magnetic eyelashes – Magnetic lashes have grown in popularity lately. The Ardell lashes and the Kiss lashes both show up on ‘best of’ lists.
- Hair claw clip – Claw clips are back in a big way this season and would make a great stocking stuffer.
Gifts for home chefs – We all have that girlfriend or relative who loves to cook. As someone who loves spending time in the kitchen, these are some of my favorite gift ideas for home chefs:
- Cravings Cookbook by Chrissy Teigen – This is such a fun and pretty cookbook with great recipes. The fish tacos are AMAZING!
- Feed These People by Jen Hatmaker is a newly released cookbook with rave reviews.
- Charcuterie Board – This personalized charcuterie board would make a great gift for any foodie.
- Apron – Every cook needs an apron or two. TJ Maxx usually has a cute selection. I also recommend the personalized and handmade aprons on Etsy.
- Online Cooking classes to learn how to cook like a chef, or to cook sauces that elevate every mea
- Kitchen Herb Garden – Every home chef loves the idea of cooking with fresh herbs. Get them started with an herb garden from Etsy.
Simple DIY Christmas Gift Ideas
If you like the idea of a handmade Christmas, here are a few DIY gift ideas to get your wheels turning.
- Leather journal – One of our friends gifted Matt with a handmade, embossed leather journal. It was made and given with such pride and Matt was very touched.
- Decorative throw pillow – I sewed a decorative pillow for someone one Christmas. If you sew, you can make pot holders, stockings, table runners, decorative throw pillows, cloth napkins, clothes…
- Charcoal sketch – My husband sketched a portrait of John Wayne for his Dad one Christmas. And a few years ago, he sketched portraits of my niece and nephew to give my brother for Christmas.
- Bath & Body products – I had fun making bath salts and body scrubs one year. Rachel Talbott’s YouTube channel is my go-to for DIY beauty product tutorials.
Of course, if you don’t have the time or don’t enjoy doing it yourself, you can always shop local artisans or try Etsy for personalized and handmade gifts.
Simple Christmas Gift Ideas for Teachers, Friends, Neighbors and Coworkers
The typical holiday gift list doesn’t usually stop with friends and family. There’s also friends, neighbors, coworkers, and teachers to consider. These types of gifts generally fall under a certain budget, so I’ve grouped them together.
You can pull from any of the gift ideas listed above that are within your budget. Of course you can always share something baked from your oven.
Any small token of appreciation is always a great Christmas gift. Some of my favorite ideas include:
- a copy of their favorite magazine
- a pretty nail polish
- a handwritten note
- sweet or salty treats
- a monogrammed trinket tray
- hydrating sheet mask
- a nice linen spray
- Starbucks or local coffee shop gift card
- an ornament
Hopefully those ideas will inspire you to find just the right gift.
Having a renewed perspective on gift giving has made gift shopping so much more enjoyable. Not only do I look forward to buying holiday presents, but also to knowing I’m giving good gifts and spreading holiday cheer.
I hope this simple Christmas gift guide will do the same for you.
For more holiday tips read:
- 9 Ways to Beat Holiday Stress This Year
- Holiday Entertaining Tips: How to Throw a Good Holiday Party
And be sure to download this free printable shopping list as my gift to you.