I use to avoid frames with double hanging hooks at all costs because…crooked art every single time. Then, I’d raise or lower one side, step back and look.
I’d do this over and over until I gave up in frustration and settled for almost straight. Not anymore. Once I discovered this clever picture hanging tip, it made the job so much easier.
And, I get straight art (almost) every time.
Picture Hanging Tip for Double Hook Frames
Painter’s tape…that’s the secret. I’ve tried the toothpaste tactic and the nail on a stick trick, but I’ve found painter’s tape to be the easiest and most consistent method for hanging art.
Let me show you how it’s done.
How to Hang Double Hook Frames
- painter’s tape
- measuring tape
- picture hanging hardware
- First, follow these tips to determine the best picture hanging height.
2. Align the tape’s edge with the middle of the hook,
3. Pull the tape across to the middle of the hook on the other side.
Tip: Mark the tape Left, Right and Top so that when you transfer the tape to the wall, it will be positioned the same way it was on the frame.
4. Place the tape on the wall where you want the nails to go, then use a level to make sure the tape is straight. I had to adjust the frame on the right which is why the hook sits slightly above the tape.
5. Be sure to align the tape’s top (or bottom, it doesn’t matter) with the markings for the nail holes.
6. Hammer the nails into the wall, and hang your artwork.
Bonus Tip: keep the tape on the wall behind the picture, and reuse it if you move the picture.
For more decorating ideas, read:
- Clever ways to display art
- Creating Vignettes: It’s Everything You Learned in Kindergarten
- Decorating Tips and Tricks: Shopping the House
Recommended Project Supplies
Before you go, be sure to grab your free picture hanging cheat sheet.
Audrey Zumwalt says
Great tip Sharon. Thanks.
Hope your summer has been one of the best.
Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures
Karianne Wood says
What a great tip! I never thought of using painter’s tape!
Happy day to you friend!
Mrs. Hines says
It has been a great summer so far! I hope you’re enjoying your summer, too. xo
On the painters tape for picture hanging marking the tape as left and right, are you referring to the left on the back where the tape is or the front left which you see when hung. Thank you.